How to Have a Successful Interview

 Hi everyone, 


I am beyond thrilled to have another year working on the blog! This year, I want to focus my posts on becoming the best version of yourself. Given the last couple of months, we have all been given a lot of time to reflect upon ourselves, whether that be through social isolation, or spending more time in familiar places. I think it is a safe assumption to say we have each had some more time to think. Therefore, I am hoping to create a space where we can focus on self-growth, and learn to work through mental blocks or challenges. To start my journey, and to those reading—your journey—I wanted to provide some tips and tricks to ace your next interview. 


As a college student, I have faced many kinds of interviews, i.e., in-person, zoom, phone calls, individual, group interviews, and more, and believe it or not, I was equally as nervous for each interview. However these nerves are not necessarily a bad thing,  rather they are a natural human response. I think nerves are a great thing because they show your true interest; nerves show how dedicated we are to what we are trying to accomplish. 


My first piece of advice to you sounds fairly obvious, but do your research. Doing research allows you to understand the expectations of what you are interviewing for. By conducting research, you will uncover much about a company or organization. This could be a make-or-break situation where maybe you discover your lack of interest, or maybe you realize how much more passionate you are. Doing research will play a part in you organizing your talking points. You should come prepared with stories and experiences that relate well to the job. Be proud of your accomplishments, it is time to show them off! 


My next piece of advice is to organize questions you want to ask. I personally think this is the most important part of an interview because questions allow for you to take over the interview. You set the tone for your professionalism. Not only that, but questions show that you have done your research. Try to restrict yourself from asking generic questions that you can find the answers online to, instead, ask the interviewer about his or her personal experience with the company or organization. This will not only allow for the interviewer to highlight their experiences, but you will learn about real, first-hand experiences and be able to put yourself in their shoes for a minute. 


Next, practice! Although it may feel awkward practicing interview questions with family members or friends, mock interviews are as close to the real thing as possible. They allow you to shake out any unnecessary nerves and give you time to organize your talking points. I remember in high school, I would always sit at my kitchen table with my mom or dad and have them throw around a few questions for me to start my thinking process. If you do not want to practice with another person, record yourself answering a mock question and rewatch the video. You will see the parts you feel you need to elaborate on and be able to see your body posture. 


Finally, relax. If this one interview does not work out, you have endless more opportunities. Take deep breaths, relax your body, stay positive, and enjoy the opportunity you have been given. Each interview is extra practice for the next and each minute you are becoming more and more confident. Go in with a positive mindset, and no matter what, leave with one too. At the end of the day, it is just one interview. 


I hope you find my tips and tricks helpful. Best of luck to anyone with any upcoming interviews! 


We would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment on this post if you have any topics you want us to write about.


I am so excited for another year!

In friendship, 

Soph :) 


Comments

Popular Posts