A Day in the Life of a 18+ Life Skills Student

 A Day in the Life of a 18+ Life Skills Student 



Everyone has unique learning capabilities and participates in their own unique set of classes each day. Life Skills classrooms offer a valuable learning style for students. These classes tend to focus on developing social, academic, and personal skills all at once. Today, the YLC will present you with a glimpse of a day in a life skills classroom. This will highlight a typical day that is experienced from an 18+ Life Skills student that was interviewed from Houston, Texas! 

What do you learn in your classes? 

"I learn many different subjects in school, but I think I learn math the most. I do math almost everyday. Each person in my class has their own math binder where we practice solving problems. We learn other subjects too like science, reading, and writing. I don't learn stuff like science everyday though. Other than academic classes, I get to learn cool things such as hygiene. However, my favorite thing to learn is definitely cooking! It is the most fun class and I learn a lot about how to work in the kitchen and create recipes. This week, I made mac n cheese and also grilled cheese sandwiches. It was really great for me because I get to learn vegetarian recipes that align with my dietary restrictions." 


What activities do you participate in? 

"I learn for a couple of hours each day at school, but I also get to do other things outside the classroom. In my class, I play a lot of games with my peers and teachers. It is so much fun! We also play music and dance on Friday's! Other than game days, I get to explore other parts of my campus. I go to the library, walk around school, or exercise in the gym. My class pledged to help our school's custodians, so we stay in the cafeteria after lunch sometimes to help them stack chairs. This taught me how important volunteering is!"  

What do you do as a Life Skills student outside the classroom? 

"Outside of school, I sometimes get to go on trips. I am in a program that lets me stay on and off campus during the day. This is so much fun for me because I get to go on field trips with my teacher and classmates. Last year, we went to a bakery! At the bakery, I got to see the process of preparing the pastries and practice folding bags. These trips are meant to prepare me for employment in my future. It is so cool to visit different businesses and try different types of work." 


What's your favorite part about school? 

"My favorite part of school is all of my friends! We work in class together, eat lunch together, and play games together. They make school so happy for me. I also love my teachers because they are all very nice and helpful. They take me on cool trips outside of school. Additionally, I love all the useful things I get to learn in school. Last week, I learned how to use gmail! I'm so excited to use it more and more in my everyday life. " 

Hopefully, this helped provide more insight about the Life Skills classes across many different campuses! 

Comments

Popular Posts