Next Steps College Program Interview


 

Interview with Next Steps College Program


Next Steps at Vanderbilt University is a "4-year inclusive higher education program committed to providing students with intellectual disability inclusive, transformational postsecondary education in academics, social and career development, and independent living, while honoring equality, compassion, and excellence in all endeavors." Check out this interview with Lindsay Krech, the Director of Campus Life at the Next Steps College Program!



What made you want to help people with disabilities?

"The students I work alongside at Next Steps at Vanderbilt teach me lessons each and every day and help me work to be the best version of myself. They help me much more than I help them!"


What role is your job?

"As the Director of Campus Life and Student Supports, I work with students and university partners to ensure there are opportunities for reciprocal learning and meaningful inclusion across campus."


What part of your job do you feel changes your life?

"Each student leaves a lasting impact. My job demonstrates that we are all innately interconnected."


What are your job responsibilities?

"I oversee our Ambassa’dore peer mentor program and help facilitate inclusion in campus organizations and activities."


What your favorite part of your job?

"First and foremost, having the opportunity to meet so many wonderful people!

College is a special time and Vanderbilt is a special place. It is also wonderful to be a small part of students’ experiences as Commodores."


What do you learn about your job that you never knew about your self!

"Growing up, I did not know that working to help build inclusion and belonging for people with and without disabilities would be my calling. I am so grateful to have been connected to Best Buddies as a volunteer and then Next Steps at Vanderbilt as a staff member. It has been life-changing. I am motivated each day to live with more gratitude, grace, and kindness because of the young adults I get to work with."


We hope that you enjoyed this interview and learned more about Next Steps!


In friendship,

Jamie


Comments

Popular Posts