My Best Buddies Story: Stephanie Smith



Stephanie Smith is a second year YLC member from St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada. Stephanie currently works with the Blogs and YouTube initiatives and previously served on numerous other initiatives including Jobs, Underserved Communities, and Ambassadors.

My personal experience with Best Buddies Canada has involved holding multiple positions with the Brock University chapter in St. Catharines, Ontario. 

I am an executive team member and buddy advocate at Brock University. My role in the executive team is helping to organize events such as the Santa Clause parade, bowling, excursions to places like the Elgin Theatre in Toronto, spread the word to end the word. As a buddy advocate, I listen to the buddies for ideas and suggestions. 


With Best Buddies Canada, I have done different Instagram Lives, zumba classes, baking, trivia, crafts, and more. 


In 2021, I joined the Best Buddies Young Leaders Council (YLC). With the YLC, I have worked on several different initiatives. I was on the jobs initiative, which works to help people with disabilities find a job that matches the job seeker’s talents and interests. I have also served on the underserved communities initiative which looked at how we can build more Best Buddies chapters in lower income schools and get more funding to start them. On the ambassadors initiative, we talked about having speech writing coaches for Best Buddies conferences and training for future ambassadors. 


I have many future goals regarding Best Buddies. In terms of Best Buddies’ growth in Canada, I want to go around to schools throughout Canada and speak about the impact of Best Buddies. It would be great to bring Best Buddies Living to Canada and get Best Buddies month on the calendar in Canada too! I also want to have an annual gala that unites and recognizes the community’s most active leaders in the name of inclusion.


Personally, I want to continue my ambassador training and to become a global ambassador on behalf of Canada. I want to continue to be an active agent for change by doing a Best Buddies Friendship Walk in Canada. Also, I want to attend the Best Buddies International Leadership Conference in Indiana. I hope someday to get on the Best Buddies International Board of Directors. 



Comments

Popular Posts