The Life of a Naval Aviator in the 1990s

 


The Life of a Naval Aviator in the 1990s


As we remember the work and contributions of American military personnel this past Veterans Day, the YLC had the opportunity to interview Stephen Cook, who served as a naval aviator for the U.S. Armed Forces in the 1990s. Check out this exclusive interview below!


If you enlisted, what were some of the reasons that you joined the military? How did you choose your branch of service?



I attended the Naval Academy. My grandmother’s first husband died of TB early in life, but he had attended West Point, so my mom always recommended a service academy. I was attracted to the challenge, but also the free education as my parents were struggling to pay for my older sister to attend college. I chose the Navy because I love to sail and love water.


 

How did you imagine military life before you joined? How did your perceptions change after serving?



I expected it to be hard and it met my expectations. Once I graduated and attended flight school, it was a blast.


 

What was basic training like?


Plebe summer was very hard, I got down to 162# at 6’5” tall, my mom cried the first time she saw me. I didn’t mind it so much because I expected it to be hard and the camaraderie with my classmates was awesome.


 

Can you describe a funny moment from boot camp?



I once fell asleep standing at attention in my uniform leaning against a wall outside my room.



 

What are some of the things you remember about adapting to military life?



They cut off all my hair, made me memorize a ton of stuff, and were constantly screaming at us and making us work out. I also remember some great friendships being forged.


 

Where did you serve during the war?



I served on USS America as a Bombardier/Navigator flying the A-6E Intruder. I joined my squadron right after the cease fire in Gulf War I. We flew peacekeeping missions and missions to enforce the no-fly zones for a few years after the war.



 

If you deployed overseas, how did you tell your loved ones you were being deployed?



My wife Shannon and my family all knew I would deploy, so it wasn’t a surprise. I ended up spending a total of 18 months over 3 years deployed aboard USS America.



 

How did you stay in touch with family and friends back home?



Shannon and I wrote a letter to each other everyday, but it took about 3 weeks for them to get to us and they came out of order. We both answered the same question each day from a spiritual book we had. We also would have one satellite phone call per week that lasted 5 minutes and cost $25.



What are some things you remember most about your deployment?


I remember the flying, the port calls, the great friends I flew with in my squadron, and mostly missing Shannon.




If you saw multiple deployments, how did they differ from each other? How did you change?



We flew missions in Iraq, Somalia, and Bosnia. I felt most comfortable with the clarity of our mission in Iraq. On my first deployment I was just out of flight school. On my second I was one of the more senior people and was instructing some of the more junior people.




Can you describe how you felt coming home from combat?



It was the greatest feeling ever! We flew all 14 planes  from our squadron over our airfield in a tight formation with all the wives and families below. I was so excited to see Shannon, but we also kind of needed to get to know each other again.




Was there anything you especially missed about civilian life?



I missed Shannon and being able to choose what I am going to eat.




Is there someone you served with that you remember fondly? Can you tell me about him/her?



I think fondly of most of the junior officers I flew with. We are all on a big Signal chat group and talk almost daily. They are as funny as ever.




What are some fun things you and your friends did together while you were deployed?



Shannon visited me in Italy over the holidays and we got to see the Pope deliver Christmas Eve Midnight Mass. We had an amazing time there for a week. She also visited in France and we skied and in Israel and we went Scuba Diving in the Red Sea. My friends and I drove bikes through the wine country of Northern Italy.




Did any of your military friends play pranks on each other? Can you describe a funny one?



All the time. One friend was conscious about his weight so he made a bet with another squadron-mate about who could lose the most weight. They tricked him by taking his flight gear to the parachute riggers and making it a little tighter each day so he thought he was gaining weight. He didn’t catch on for a while, so it was really funny when he did.




Did you ever get caught breaking any rules? Did you ever get away with something you weren’t supposed to do?



I led a “spirit recon” as part of the preparation for the Army/Navy game. We made a huge poster by sewing a bunch of white flat sheets together and then painted in huge letters:”Abe Says Beat Army/Go Navy!” We jumped the fence of the Naval Academy and had a friend’s brother drive us to Washington D.C. We went to the Lincoln Memorial and convinced the guard to let us climb up on Abraham Lincoln’s knees and hold the sheet poster that hung all the way to the ground. We had someone take pictures and then take them to the Washington Post. They put it on the front page of the paper the next day, but we never got caught.




Did you ever learn something about a fellow service member that surprised you?


My best friend’s father died in Vietnam when he was very young. His mom for many years thought he was a POW. When the POWs returned, he wasn’t on the plane. They finally found his remains from where his plane crashed in Vietnam about a decade ago.




When did you leave the military? What was that process like?


I left after 11 years if you count my time at the Naval Academy. It was a pretty smooth process and I went to graduate school. I really missed the flying and my friends, but not the separation from Shannon.




What were your first few months out of the service like?



They really weren’t too bad, I was at school at MIT.




Was there anything or anyone that helped you during the transition from military to civilian life?



Going back to school really helped me. It taught me the language and thought process of business.




Do you have advice for others transitioning out of the military?



Leverage your network as best as you can.




How do you think your time in the military affected you?



It was transformational for me. It gave me a great work ethic and a lot of pride in what I did.




What did you learn about yourself?



That I can do really tough things like land on an aircraft carrier at night in bad weather and still thrive.




What are some of your hopes for the future?



I’m towards the end of my career, so I’m mostly focused on leaving a great legacy at my firm and helping my children to succeed.




What phrase or word will never be the same now that you served?



Freedom. My best friend died when his F-14 exploded, I know how much people have given up to protect our freedoms.




When you were first discharged, what are some things about civilians that were difficult for you to deal with?



When I got out people were very supportive of the military. I think the hardest thing has been people driving political correctness into the military. I can’t say this is all bad, but sometimes it feels like our leaders have forgotten that the primary mission of the military is to defend our national interests and win wars if needed.




Thanks for reading!

In friendship,
Jamie





Comments

Popular Posts