Champions Interview



(Image Description: The theatrical release poster is shown above for the movie Champions. The bottom of the poster features (left to right) cast members Casey Metcalfe, Madison Tevlin, Woody Harrelson, Kevin Iannucci, and Joshua Felder.)



Champions Interview



A few weeks ago, I had the chance to watch Champions! This movie follows a basketball coach (Woody Harrelson) who receives a court order to lead a team of basketball players with IDD. By the end of the movie, the coach gains a better understanding of the players and their bond becomes stronger than ever before. 


I thought the movie was really good overall! All of the cast did an amazing job acting their parts. I like how it was in a basketball setting and connected to Special Olympics and Best Buddies. I loved how we all can watch it and learn more about people with disabilities. This shows that typical Hollywood actors with disabilities can be in movies and do great things.


Check out this exclusive interview with Joshua Felder, who played Darius in Champions. Joshua is a Global Ambassador and International Board Member for Best Buddies, and he is also an alum of the YLC.


1. How did you feel while filming for Champions?
I’m a big fan of Woody Harrelson’s movies, so to star with him in a film was incredible! While there were many 12-hour-long filming days, many lines to learn, and freezing weather, it was all worth it in the end!

2. What was the Champions premiere like?
I was starstruck during the red-carpet premiere. The paparazzi were everywhere, snapping pictures of me and interviewing me about my experience with Champions. The premiere was a great time, and I got some good pictures taken of myself that I’ve posted on my social media lately. 

3. How has the Champions movie impacted you?
Oh man, where do I start? Before and after Champions premiered in theatres, I participated in many television interviews with Bay News9, Fox News, ABC Action News, The Today Show featuring Savannah Guthrie, The Drew Barrymore show, and more! In addition, my social media has constantly gained followers, and various Best Buddies chapters have invited me to participate in their in-person events!

4. What was your favorite scene during Champions?
My favorite scene was telling Marcus (Woody Harrelson) I would play for him in regionals. Forgiving Marcus showed how much of a Champion I was, and I was glad to be there for my team during our most important game of the year.

5. How do you relate to your character, Darius?
Like my character, Darius, I’m athletic. I ran for Hillsborough High School’s track and field team, competing in the 400m, 800m, and 1,500m events as the only one from the exceptional student education program to “play regular sports.” My basketball skills were on display throughout the film. My jump shots and dribbling skills in the movie were real and not photoshopped. 


We hope you enjoyed this interview! If you haven't already, I encourage you to watch Champions at your local theater and support Joshua by following him on social media


In friendship,

Jamie Galvin

YLC Member, Tennessee

Comments

Popular Posts