Reflection on BBLC 2023

 


(Image Description: Members of the YLC are standing in front of a large, inflatable Best Buddies logo at the 2023 Best Buddies Leadership Conference in Bloomington, Indiana. They are all smiling and a bright YLC sign is featured at the center of the photo.)

Reflection on BBLC 2023


This past weekend, I had the incredible opportunity of attending the 2023 Best Buddies Leadership Conference (BBLC) at Indiana University! After several years of LC being off due to the pandemic, we were finally able to return in person this year. Let me tell you all about my experience at BBLC!


The goal of BBLC is to teach us all about how to effectively include others, and for me, how to help me find a job. What especially stood out to me is that so many celebrities are a part of Best Buddies' mission and welcoming us for who we are. 


BBLC truly helped me to step outside of my comfort zone. For example, I sang songs like "We Are Never Getting Back Together" with my home state of Tennessee and even had the chance to play basketball with actors from Champions! BBLC was a life-changing experience for so many. I loved meeting new friends and hearing their stories, and seeing everyone from around the world come together made me realize that Best Buddies is a big family.


In addition, I was so honored to be at BBLC with my YLC family. After two years of virtual meetings and events, it was surreal to finally meet everybody in person for the first time. My friends from the YLC taught me how to be a better person and empowered me to speak confidently about the power of friendship. And perhaps most importantly, we learned that it is okay to have a disability because it is our superpower that we can share with the world!


Here are some thoughts from my YLC friends about their favorite BBLC memories!


"My favorite part of BBLC was meeting Billy Banks Jr. and Daniel Caridi of Kibu, the leading inclusive platform for ALL abilities!"  -Vanessa Ocana, California


"I absolutely loved getting to know everyone on the YLC and countless other Best Buddies leaders this past weekend. I also thoroughly enjoyed presenting alongside Vanessa on the importance of accessibility, which I hope will be prioritized in their chapter events next school year."  -Nathan Moldavsky, Wisconsin


"Getting to meet everyone on the council in-person! We've spent so much time together virtually, but this was the first time we were all able to hang out in-person and it was so much fun to get to know everyone on a deeper level and see everyone's personalities shine. I also loved the energy of the opening ceremony and Baller Bash!"  -Sofie Dalton, Virginia


"My favorite memory was the Baller Bash basketball game. I loved seeing Fran get her basket and how the crowd went wild for her! Such a great event!"  -Blake Campbell, Iowa, Incoming Staff Liaison


"Seeing all the amazing participants in action to further develop their abilities to be more effective leaders in their communities!"  -Garett Tomasek, Texas


"I have several great memories, but the ones that stand out the most is the basketball game and sitting on the panel in the Community Leaders track."  -Paul Brooks, Nevada


"I think my favourite memory would be cheering at the Baller Bash! Being able to uplift everyone playing and see how inclusive it was really made me happy. Also seeing some of my own friends like Jamie, Paul, Matt, and others play was so cool!"  -Michelle Raitman, Canada


"My favorite memory is probably the meals we all had together in McNutt! We all were able to hangout and talk. It was so much fun to catch up with everyone!"  -Maddie Quigley, Missouri


"My favorite memory from BBLC was hosting a communication workshop with fellow YLC member Paul, as well as opening and closing ceremonies, and getting to experience LC in person and be surrounded by other people who love Best Buddies."  -Amy Gibson, Texas


"I loved the Baller Bash basketball game!"  -Isabelle Hughes, Texas


Overall, BBLC taught me about the power of including others no matter what. If we do that every day, we can make the world a better place for everyone.


What's your favorite memory from BBLC 2023? Comment below!


In friendship,

Jamie Galvin
YLC Member, Tennessee

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts