Tips for Improving Writing and Public Speaking

 
A public speaker is shown standing behind a podium. She is speaking to the crowd and confidently extending her hand.

Tips for Improving Writing and Public Speaking


I haven’t always been a confident writer. As someone on the autism spectrum, I often find writing or talking about myself to be extremely difficult. However, after my first ambassador training with Best Buddies, I was assigned a speechwriter to help guide me to write a speech and perform it over the span of just a few days. 


This took me out of my comfort zone immediately and forced me to write about myself. I’m a strong believer that any uncomfortable moment in life can only lead to personal growth. So I got out of my own way and wrote about my struggles as a kid in kindergarten with autism. In only two days, I managed to write a speech that I didn’t hate and read it out loud to the group. 


After that moment, I knew I wanted to write about my journey as a young autistic man. Maybe I could help other young neurodivergent people learn to speak out and advocate for themselves. Writing is a powerful tool, not to be underestimated. 


Most importantly, don’t give up on your writing. Sign up for a writing class. You will get better if you put yourself out there. Try an acting class to help you feel comfortable speaking in front of others. Journal every morning. Don’t judge what you put down on paper. Writing is about editing and revising. Public speaking isn’t easy for anyone. It takes practice and a little bit of courage. I took acting classes for years. It gave me the courage to stand up in front of others and just go for it. 


If I can do it, so can you. Just be kind to yourself along the way and believe you can do anything you set your mind to. 


In friendship,

Ben Haworth

YLC Member, California


Comments

Popular Posts